Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wan

In 2007, a guy named Wan came to the U.S. from South Korea. Once here, he decided to trek across the country on a Honda Ruckus-- a relatively slow, bare-bones, but reliable motor scooter. The guy is amazing, and the story of how he traveled 18,000 miles over 8 months, met hundreds of people and changed a lot of lives is quite inspirational.

(NOTE: this is not Wan's Ruckus, but I happen to like this one.)


Of course, a few other folks have taken similar trips... but no-one of whom I'm aware has ridden so far on a scooter.)

After reading all this, I did some soul-searching. I discovered that I am not the type to do this sort of thing: just leave everything behind and hit the road. Not in the long term. But I do need to get out more, as the saying goes. I love riding, I love hiking, and I love camping. And I live in one of the best states for that kind of stuff-- Arizona. Despite having lived here for 6 years, there is a hell of a lot I haven't seen. So I'm going to do it. I might not go 18,000 miles, but I'll do 200 in a weekend. And I'll post about it here.

Don't expect great things to happen too soon; I'll have to work up to them. But do stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment